Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Classic 17' Whaler Montauk Restoration

I drove by this Montauk a year ago. It was sitting under cover in a front yard at the end of a dead end back road in San Anselmo California.

So when I drove by this Montauk once again this summer, and saw that it had not moved, I decided to leave the owner a note in his mailbox asking him if he would consider selling his boat to me.

He called me later that day and we made an appointment to meet. The boat had not
been in the water in 7 years and he was finally ready to see her off to a new home!

The photos on this page represent a month and a half long restoration and re-power project starting June 8th 2014. This first photo below was taken minutes after towing her home.

 
I started cleaning her up on day one. She looked 10 years newer than her age would suggest. The motor, the gel-coat, everything was in excellent shape for the year of the boat. I am pretty sure she had always been covered up and rarely in the water with the last 2 owners. The original owner obviously lovingly cared for the boat for 14 years, the second owner seems to have also cared for her well during his 13 year watch, but he rarely used her. In talking to him I suspect the outboard was a little too light for his needs, and all the electronics needed to be replaced by the time he took ownership....easier to cover it up and call it a project...
 
 After one year,  this is my partially restored 1987 Montauk 17.

Other than the new 2014 ETEC and rigging she is completely original and the equipment onboard reflects what was on the original bill of sale, with the exception of the Mooring Cover and the full Bimini and Bow Enclosure from Wm. J. Mills Canvas. These were added on or replaced by myself.

All the wood on this hull, the cushions, the teak fire extinguisher insert, rub rails, extra fishing seats, lights and stainless steel rails are stock. The OEM Bow and Aft Pedestal Seats are kind of unique and really nice to have, and easy to remove if need be. She is not perfect but from comments at the boat ramps she might be one of the cleanest examples of an unmolested classic Montauk around these parts. She resides in Sausalito CA

 
 




On February 14th 2015 I found another Montauk up in Chico California. This boat had a freshwater trailer under her and sported a full Mills Canvas enclosure. I paid $5900.00 for this boat, cleaned it up and flipped it for $9000.00. I kept the newer trailer and Mills canvas

1 comment:

  1. I would like to email or call you for info on restoring a Boston Whaler

    ReplyDelete